Tuesday 16 August 2016

About Town

Eating at the St John's 

26 St John's Street, London EC1RM 4AY   




St. JOHN is located around the corner from Smithfield Market in Clerkenwell.
I must start by saying that this is not exactly the best place for vegetarians or vegans being placed right in the middle of "Meat- Central" however, if you love meat, it is heaven. 
The place has 2 distinctive areas: the formal restaurant and the bar (with tables for dining too). The former is a more prim and proper dining experience, the latter a more informal and casual affair, looking very industrial, "cool" and with a lot of atmosphere.

As an indication of the standards of this place it is worth mentioning that it used to hold 1 Michelin star at some point. I will not bore with all the history bits and pieces, blah blah blah; I'm sure if you are that way inclined  you will check that out yourself .
What I will go on about though is the bar menu, better still what I did try ( couldn't order all):
Welsh Rarebit
Cheese course
Chocolate & Prune Trifle

The WR entices you first with the amazing aroma wafting true as the waiters carefully place it in front of you 
(there was a lots of "wafting" last night, many people ordered it). Then you dive in and what touches you is the softness and quality of the bread and the amazing cheese ( I love cheese).

The Cheese platter was divine, served just at the right temperature and softening.
When I thought it couldn't get any better, well the Chocolate & Prune Trifle arrived et voila, I was in heaven.
A dense, rich, velvety (no jelly in sight) chocolate base with melting in the mouth prunes for just enough touch of sweetness toppled with the most fabulous cream ( OK, I am a chocolate person too).
What can I say? You simply have to go and try some.

www.stjohngroup.uk.com

No comments:

Post a Comment