Saturday 27 August 2016

In the Kitchen

Indulgence for the weekend:
Heavenly Cake with Nutella

I admit I am not Mary Berry or Nigella Lawson and my baking skills are a minimal but I do subscribe to both women's philosophy that life is too short not to use a "packet" to cook sometime.

This recipe is my adaptation from the Devil's Food (packet courtesy of Betty Crockery) but I can guarantee that people will love you forever after they have tried it: it is a bribery cake so keep it up your sleeve for those moments when you really need it or you feel like spoiling yourself.

Ingredients:

1 Devil's Food Cake Mix Packet
1 medium egg
Vegetable oil

Follow the instructions on the packet to the letter (easy peasy- better if you use two separate tins for baking, or whatever they are called, so it is ready to assemble rather than having to cut the cake in two) up to the point of the filling and topping where you will need:

1 400 gr Nutella Jar
2 250 gr Mascarpone tubs


It would be better to bake the cake the night before so it has cooled down by the time you proceed with the filling and decorating so to speak.

And for this all you will need to do is mix in a bowl the Nutella with a tub of mascarpone at the time. I tend to prepare and spread bit by bit so I can make it more " nutellsih" or more "creamish" depending on how I feel.
After you have spread the mix in one half of the cake, top it with the other half and then proceed to cover the top and all around with some more of the delicious mix.

If you are feeling really cheffy and want to show you can scatter, artistically mind, chopped toasted hazelnuts on top of the cake to echo the hazelnut base in the Nutella (and it looks good).

I am no pastry chef but this dessert will win over anybody and you will be asked for it over and over and over....

Be aware, if you are doing it just for yourself you will have a Miranda -Sex in the City moment.... Guaranteed.

No comments:

Post a Comment